Rights at work

For problems at work such as with pay and conditions, there are sources of advice about rights and what can be done if matters are not easily resolved.

Citizens' Advice has comprehensive information on its website 
Or contact the Lewes office on 03444 111 444 Mon-Fri 9.30am to 4.00pm or visit Southover House on Monday, Tuesday or Friday 9.30am to 3.00pm or see website  Advice is free.

ACAS provides free impartial information and mediation to employees and employers. There is a free, confidential online service where you can ask questions acas.org.uk

Unions can advise and help – they exist for every kind of employment, from shops to caring professions. They help members with getting employers to improve conditions and pay. Most unions are members of the TUC so can be found by looking on their website 

USDAW (for retail workers) has general rights information here 
y also have approachable information for younger workers

There are now unions for people not directly employed, such as the Independent Workers of Great Britain https://iwgb.org.uk and United Voices of the World https://www.uvwunion.org.uk/

Unite has community membership for people not in work. www.unitetheunion.org

A typical union subscription for annual pay of £16,000 is around £9.70 per month. For part-timers to join USDAW costs £1.55 per week which is £6.67 per month or £80 per year. Unison costs are more graduated with pay rates. For someone on £8.75 per hour and 20 hours a week, it would be £6.60 a month.